Monday, December 20, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Well, I finally took my GRE. According to most of my professors, I did pretty well on it. I did well on the English and did about as well as most non-science and math intensive majors do on the math (dang you Engineers and mathematicians!) So, now comes the "fun" part of trying to find a school that will take me, give me some money, likes my work and that won't teach me that marriage is an outdated relic. My big 3 right now are: 1- Virginia Tech (Falls Church), 2- Maryland and 3- East Carolina.

Pros and cons: Virginia Tech.  Pros: 1- Great location (just outside of Washington, D.C. which is a city both Julie and I love). 2- Their program is focused on the clinical aspects of marriage and family. 3- Close to Jen and Steven (Julie's sister-in-law and brother). 4- Close to Camden Yards (to watch the Orioles get smacked by the Yankees). 5- Highly recommended by all my teachers, including one who is writing me a letter of recommendation. 6- Beautiful campus. 7- Close to my cousin, Chris, and his wife, Karim.

Cons: 1- Expensive out-of-state tuition. 2- Have you seen their colors? 3- Far away from mine and Julie's parents (and my brothers. Julie's siblings are all over so some of them have to lose). 4- Far away from both of my friends. 5- What is a Hokie, exactly?


Pros and cons: Maryland. Pros: 1- Beautiful campus. 2- More focused on clinical part of Marriage and Family Therapy. 3- Close to D.C. 4- Red and black resemble West High School. 5- Close to Camden Yards. 6- Close to Jen and Steve; Chris and Karim. 7- I used to have Maryland basketball shorts until I fell into the rose bushes in my backyard and got blood all over them.

Cons: 1- Expensive out-of-state tuition. 2- A little wary of its program being called "Couple and Family Therapy." 3- Far away from mine and Julie's parents (and my sibs). 4- Far away from both of my friends. 5- I hated West High School. 6- What is a Terp? Might be even less fierce than a Hokie.

 
Pros and cons: East Carolina.  Pros: 1- Beautiful location. 2- Most likely to give me financial aid based on my credentials. 3- Beautiful campus. 4- Focused on clinical part of Marriage and Family Therapy. 5- North Carolina is only acceptable southern state. 

Cons: 1- Still far away from everyone. 2- Still part of the south. 3- Purple and gold make me think about the L.A. Lakers. 4- I have a slight fear of flying and they invented it. 5- I thought the second and third Pirates of the Carribean movies were really disappointing. 


If anyone has a good sales pitch from anywhere else, I'm all ears.





 

5 comments:

  1. Ummm...I think I have made my case already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love looking for grad. schools? I remember those days and then I decided on the U. Nice and close to home and in-state tuition. You may want to call Jacob and ask about living in a southern state. He decided it is very different from what he was expecting, although I would imagine that it would be easier being married so at least you have one person who likes you! Good luck in the decision. Are you planning on applying to all 3 and then seeing what types of financial aid you could get? Again, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOooohhhhhkay. I just have one thing to say. . .

    As I sit here reading this post in my home in the SOUTH I have to wonder, why do you hate the south so much Dyl? It's actually a pretty fantastic place.

    And added to your list of cons for each school should be "far away from Papa Bear and Cookie"

    Good luck picking. Make it a matter of prayer, like I know you already are, and you'll make the right choice.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living close to Chris and Karim! Yes!!!! Please do :)

    ReplyDelete