The other night, I again put good things in the way of best things. I was trying to edit all of the papers of the students in the class I TA for. It had me stressed and had to be done the next day. I was not looking forward to a long night of reading. While I was beginning to edit, Julie informed that it was December 1st and that we needed to put up the beautiful nativity scene she bought (it was made in Africa). I thought 'ok, that will only take 5 minutes and then I'll start.' However, Julie wanted me to read the different accounts of Christ's birth and said she would put the characters involved in the nativity up as I read off their scriptures. At first, I was slightly annoyed with this, but (being the awesome husband I am) I agreed. As I read, Julie pulled out the donkeys and made their noises as they went into the scene. Then, the wisemen, etc. She even made the baby Jesus cry at His birth, thus proving that silly line from the Christmas hymn that says, "the little lord Jesus, no crying he makes" to be false. As she was doing this, it made me chuckle but realize that other things, no matter how important they may seem, are secondary. My relationship with her and my Creator and Redeemer are much more important.
Ironically, as I've put less emphasis on school and other temporary things, the better I have done in those fields as well. I guess those apostles really are inspired, after all.
![]() |
| This painting, like "Away in a Manger" is highly idealized. I don't think Joseph spent hours to perfectly put on his cloak and matching hood. But, hey, that's not important, either. |

No comments:
Post a Comment