Monday, July 11, 2011

Top 10 Surprising Things So Far in Pregnancy

(In no particular order)

1. No real cravings. Besides Sonic Slushes during happy hour (or any time)...but honestly, that's not something due to pregnancy.
2. The first stranger to comment on my pregnancy was a little Korean woman at a nail salon in San Clemente. Honestly, just someone noticing made me SO happy. Finally, I don't just look fat!
3. What's the point in creating a baby registry if you're having a baby girl? I mean, really, who can resist buying cute little pink outfits? We really have hardly anything for her but pretty little clothes, stuffed animals, and a few books. Practicality? What's that?
4. How early I was showing. And how wrong most books about the topic of body types/when you'll probably show are. If you're slightly overweight and not super short, they say you'll probably show later. WRONG. I had a nice bump going from 13-ish weeks, on. Been wearing maternity pants since shortly after I found out I was pregnant.
5. Not just mood swings, but deep depressed feelings that hit me from out of nowhere. Always leaves me feeling terrible for not being overjoyed all the time that I'm carrying this little munchkin.
6. How mild my morning sickness was. I fully expected to be on my death bed for much of the first part of this pregnancy, but I can say the only time I ever threw up (like, really threw up, not just in the back of my mouth) was when I had the stomach flu. I feel SO ridiculously lucky, because I know it could have been much worse. Of course, I blame part of that luck on my complete and utter dread of throwing up, and my strong-headedness :)
7. SWELLING! I mean, I had cankles before I got pregnant (always have, just look at pictures of me in junior high/high school), but MAN, my calves are gigantic these days. Not only that, but the most surprising part is my forearms. They have been swollen since the end of the first trimester, and there's no end in sight.
8. Things you should not believe from pregnancy books and apps: I can't tell you how many times I've read stuff like "You'll soon have people dumping their used baby clothes and items off on your doorstep faster than you can sort through them." They really shouldn't say that -- most people I know aren't done having kids, or gave away their baby clothes long ago.
9. I know this could have (sort of) been controlled, but the timing of everything with baby and moving has really been a MESS. Trying to figure out healthcare after my insurance runs out and before we establish residency to qualify for Medicaid, not to mention how we can't really find a midwife until we get there. I just didn't anticipate it being this complicated...but I guess health insurance always is.
10. Not really missing my figure. This was helped by the fact that I never really stopped gaining pregnancy weight after the miscarriage last summer (my body kept packing it on like I was trying to feed a little one, too), but I really just am SO excited every time I notice my bump is bigger. I thought I would miss all my old clothes, but I do love lots of my maternity clothes. (Of course, this depends on the day. Last Saturday? You couldn't have convinced me clothes looked anything but frumpy on me)

2 comments:

  1. You didn't look frumpy on Saturday (though I had never heard that word until I met you. Still not exactly sure what it means other than "not good"). I thought you looked like a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this! Made me feel pregnant myself all over again. SCARY! But Dylan is right. You looked radiant on Saturday. Truly.

    ReplyDelete