Sunday, July 10, 2011

O, Captain, My Captain

Yesterday, Derek Jeter became the first Yankee to ever get to the very rare 3,000 hits for a career milestone. Only 27 players in baseball HISTORY have done this. As such, I thought I would write him a little ode entitled "O, Captain, My Captain" (as he is the Yankees captain).

O, Captain, My Captain,
Hitter of singles, doubles, triples and the home run,
How great thy career hath been,
Whether at home or on the road, to you it is all one.

Wearer of 5 World Series rings,
Dater of beautiful women,
Every game you give everything, 
Hopefully you play long enough to get 10. 

Some say that you are overrated,
Your range is "lacking," your teams too "good," you've "lost speed,"
On talk shows your greatness is debated,
A girlfriend and a life is what they need. 

So, my Captain, my Captain,
Thank you for all the memories,
There are still more to come before you art done, 
And through it all, I'll be your fan, not an enemy. 

2 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to call this my blog, too, now. Derek Jeter? Derek CHEATER? Really? That line should have said "Cheater on beautiful women"
    I disown this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fourth stanza is my fave.

    ReplyDelete