Yesterday, our baby girl turned one years old. In some ways, I can't believe that it has already been a year since she was born. However, it is hard to remember what life was like without her. I am sure that it was less enjoyable, fulfilling, hilarious and interesting than it is, now. Since this post is already starting off overly sentimental, I will continue on the feelings train and cite some of my favorite things about our daughter.
1- She laughs--A LOT. Lately, Eloise has become a social laugher. She laughs whenever other people are laughing even if she has no idea what is supposed to be funny. She recognizes the word funny, now, so when I point to things and say "isn't that funny?" she laughs in response. I am glad that she's learned from such a young age that laughing makes life so much better.
2- She loves books. I started reading to Wheezy when she was really little. I think I mostly just wanted a way to keep her still for a few minutes. She learned how to turn the pages from a relatively young age and now loves to look at the pictures (to go along with point number 1, she laughs at every picture).
3- She acts like her Mama. While everyone says Wheezy J looks like me (somehow she pulls it off a lot better than me), she acts more like her Mom. Since Julie is my favorite person in the world, that is definitely a good thing. My Mom was just remarking, today, about how Lo Lo may be the most engaging one year old she has ever seen. Eloise has been interested and curious about everything since Day 1. She was born sunny-side up with her eyes wide open--I think that is fitting in her case.
4- She is independent but loves other people's (particularly other kids') company. She can play by herself and keep herself entertained for long stretches of time. However, she is very interested in other people and is observant of them and what they are doing.
5- She is stubborn. This characteristic of hers has lead to some sleepless nights for everyone in the Cannon household. But, Julie and I both were (and some say are) stubborn people. I love that she has her own opinions, already, and doesn't give in easily. It is a personality trait that will serve her well in the future.
6- She is ours. Even if none of these things were true about Eloise, I would love her all the same. She is mine and Julie's. We wanted her, we prayed for her, and we couldn't be happier to have her.
A lovely letter from a dad to his daughter. I'm grateful to have both of you (and Julie!) in my life.
ReplyDeleteShe is darling. Happy Birthday, Wheezy
ReplyDelete