 |
| Doesn't Julie look great as Cleopatra? I'm balding and chunky, so I was Bill Murray from Ghostbusters. |
When I was growing up, Halloween was a great time. My Mom used to get so excited for the holiday; she would get dressed up, decorate the entire house and just made the season fun. Every year, my Dad would help us carve out pumpkins. Then, Halloween night, we could go trick or treating. As Jerry Seinfeld points out, to a child Halloween is the greatest thing ever devised by humankind: you get as much candy as you can stand for no apparent reason! Finally, my brothers and I would all come home and enjoy passing our candy around (the old people always gave us nasty Good and Plenty which we would look to pawn off on each other, our parents or our dogs) while watching Ghostbusters with Mom and Dad. Then, we all started to get older. Trick or treating was no longer cool. With no trick or treating, we didn't dress up or get loads of candy for nothing, anymore. In other words, Halloween died for us.
It died for me until this year. I married a beautiful woman who loves the holidays just as much as my Mom does. She went to all sorts of thrift stores to buy fun decoration for our house. We carved up pumpkins and put them on our front porch. We bought boatloads of candy. We even dressed up! She was stunning as Cleopatra and I got to fulfill a lifelong dream of being a Ghostbuster. My cousin and his wife, Danny and Becca, allowed us to take their kids out trick or treating with them. It brought back all sorts of memories of how much fun Halloween is and we had a blast with them. It was pouring rain outside so Danny drove us from door to door as we ran to the doorsteps to get our loot. It was wet, cold, and hilarious. In other words, Halloween is back. Maybe next year, I will be a Ninja Turtle or a Yankees baseball player. If I am either of those, my life just may be complete.
 |
| Walk like an Egyptian! Or whatever Julie is doing. |
 |
| Carrying Peter in the rain as Danny sits in the dry car. |
 |
| Peter, as Bob the Builder, acting crazy! |
 |
| My girls here in Provo! Julie decided it would be fun to dress up as Brian Wilson (she didn't want to dress as Cleopatra in the rain). Fear the beard! |
Love the costumes. Halloween is one of the best holidays so I am glad you got to enjoy it again!
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS!! You guys are so fun!!
ReplyDeleteLove it! You guys are awesome. What a great time. Love the beard!
ReplyDeleteCute costumes.
ReplyDelete