Friday, October 8, 2010

Women and Creativity

While I was doing my usual work-breaktime-walk-around-the-grassy-area, I was reading different talks from General Conference in April. I stumbled across the transcript of the video presentation from the Young Women's meeting. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf had an amazing quote in that video, and it really impacted me.
Here it is:
"Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."

Ever since moving into our  third apartment, I've just had this HUGE impulse to be crafty, to create yummy goodness to decorate the tiny world around me. I've started a TON, and here is the one that I've actually finished (wait, I take that back, I finished one more, about 2 days ago, but didn't take a photo of it yet)

My Halloween Rag Wreath! It was actually super easy to make. Just took the Saturday morning General Conference session :) I bought an awesome fabric pack from EBay (actually one pack for Halloween, one for Thanksgiving, and one for Christmas). I cut the 4" squares in half, and then just smushed them together/tied them in bows/hot glued them on to a wire wreath frame. Then I augmented that with orange/purple/black/green ribbon and tiny ornaments from JoAnn's. I am super happy with how it turned out. I still want to add a BOO or SPOOKY or some word to the middle. But here it is, a FINISHED CRAFT PROJECT! Woot!




President Uchtdorf  gave a great October 2008 Conference talk to the women of the Church. He talked about Creativity, and the importance of creating in our daily lives. I adore this quote (taken from here)

So, the question is....
What do you create daily? What inspires you in everyday life?

1 comment:

  1. I like knitting. I take a ball of yarn and make it into something useful. Other than that I am not the typical 'creative' type. But I know that was the point of the talk, that we are all creative. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete